Saturday 12 October 2013

Scottish Fashion Awards 2013


The Scottish Fashion Awards is something that every fashion conscious Scot has been keeping an eye on since it began in 2006. In Scotland, a recognised career in fashion can be slightly more difficult to achieve... Well, the inhabitants of good old Glasgow don't quite have the elegance and sophistication as the likes of Paris and Milan. But we do have immense talent, new and old, and the Scottish Fashion Awards was set up as a way to showcase this.

Once a year every big name in the Scottish fashion industry are brought together for a night of celebration and a little bit too much whiskey. This year was no exception, with the likes of Christopher Kane, Hilary Alexander, Stella Tennant, and Pam Hogg among the many who others gathered in London at Dover House to witness the winners being announced. Being chosen to take part in this event and having the opportunity to be there alongside fashion royalty was something I have never expected but am honoured to have been able to experience. Never have I had so many 'pinch yourself' moments in one night... Obviously not including David Gandy telling me I looked fabulous. That's an every day sort of thing...

Winners included Christopher Kane - Designer of the Year, Pam Hogg - Creative Excellence, Mary Charteris - Model of the Year, Lauren Smith - Graduate of the Year, and the wonderful and lovely Jennifer Morris who won the title of Young Designer of the Year. However, it felt to me that the ceremony was more than just a celebration of the winners. It was a celebration of every person in the room; designer or communicator, creative or celebrity, nominee or winner. Everyone had worked hard to be there and had each brought something to the growing fashion industry that Scotland has today. They were there to celebrate each other. There was a great patriotism and feeling of pride. That was special.

The event was then moved to a beautiful venue in the heart of London where the party truly began. Here, the gorgeous Laura Whitmore presented awards to Harris Tweed for Scottish Ambassador of the Year and Brian Duffy picked up the award for Hall of Fame 2013. Too much champagne and photo booth fun (Obscure Couture ladies in particular..) means that the goings on here must be kept under wraps, but the food was delicious, the energy was electric and every single table was packed full of fashion darlings, all enjoying everything the night had to offer.

What else can I say? I chatted to Stella Tennant after handing her an award and congratulating her on Chanel's win for International Designer of the Year. I got a hug from David Gandy, shared champagne with Laura Whitmore and had a giggle with Hilary Alexander. I spent my night surrounded by idols and inspirations. It was amazing, and now just I want more.

I also want to say thanks to my beautiful ladies from Obscure Couture for lending me some of their masterpieces to wear and for being the best ever company, and to Tessa Hartmann for putting on such an amazing event and letting me be a part of it. Much love, ladies. x



Pam Hogg - Creative Excellence

Jennifer Morris - Young Designer of the Year

Christopher Kane - Designer of the Year

The gorgeous Tallia Storm wearing Young Designer of the Year nominee Jacob Birge

Mary Charteris - Model of the Year

Host Laura Whitmore wearing Christopher Kane


Sitting down for a feast.


My little Storm and I.. X
Tallia in Jacob Birge and myself in Obscure Couture
Tallia in H&M and myself in another Obscure Couture.

This man doesn't need named. SWOOOOOON
(David Gandy, if you don't know, but be ashamed.)

Myself, founder Tessa Hartmann and Jenni Martin of Jenivieve Berlin Millinery, Accessory Designer of the Year nominee.

And of course, my two favourite ladies and I, Jenn Coyle and Lyndsay Pagan of Obscure Couture.
(all wearing Obscure Couture, obviously.)












No comments:

Post a Comment