Thursday 4 April 2013

Alexander McQueen

It seems only right that I write my first blog post in honour of the wonderful Alexander McQueen. Idol doesn't seem like a strong enough word.. He i
s, quite simply, artistic genius, and I couldn't be any more infatuated by his work. His clothes aren't just clothes, they are pieces of art that capture an idea and display it in the most beautiful way possible.

There is something about the depth of his pieces that evokes every sort of emotion, from pain and heartache to surprise and wonder. In a fashion industry obsessed with the trends of each season, Alexander McQueen's work is a breath of fresh air in the way his collections aren't just a transition from S/S to A/W, they are an idea; the reversal of evolution, the history of Scotland, the cruelty of nature, death.

He has revolutionised the meaning of 'fashion'. His work was about questioning what our society perceives as beautiful and empowering women, rather than showing them what colours and patterns they should be wearing for spring.

Don't get me wrong, I love fashion, I mean I really, really love it. But Alexander McQueen's approach to it has captured my imagination and filled me with a creativity and passion I didn't even know I had.





And not forgetting the brilliant Sarah Burton who has taken over as head designer.

No comments:

Post a Comment